Friday, July 23, 2021

IT WILL BE OKAY.

 

I have to be honest… for the longest time, I’ve been trying to avoid writing any blogs because everything is such a blur with what’s going on in Malaysia lately. Borders have been closed shut for more than a year, families are separated, online distanced learning has been stressful with new things implemented almost every other week, works halted, SOPs changing bi-weekly and here we are, just trying to make sense of what’s going on and surviving this whole ordeal. I don’t know how to feel honestly; I’m so detached, late nights grow lonelier and stretch into more empty time as I find myself consistently drained.

I have been struggling a lot and feeling restless, but now that I am here, looking out my window, serenaded by this lovely sunset, I realized how beautifully Allah SWT has moved most of His creation, including me, with His Protection and I cannot help but feel grateful. Although the word "grateful" may not be the most appropriate word to use at this time, that is exactly how I am feeling in the midst of all the turmoil and upheaval that has engulfed the planet.

Today, I'm thankful for a lot of things. If anything we could derive from the current scenario, it would be the countless lessons that we can learn. It serves as a reminder that life and death are always in Allah's hands and never in ours. The reminder that no matter how well we plan, Allah is always the best planner. The reminder of how brief and fleeting life is, and the need of savoring every moment. The memory of everything we could have done before COVID but didn't. The reminder that our quality of life will be severely impacted if we don't have excellent health and safety (two things we've all taken for granted). The importance of maintaining proper personal hygiene can never be underestimated. The reminder to be socially responsible. And the list goes on. The need to be socially responsible is emphasized. The list goes on and on.

It's common knowledge that failures and experiences help us learn more, so perhaps this is a much-needed wake-up call for all of us to be better, kinder, more grateful, and more responsible citizens of this planet.

Another thing that I am grateful for is the Deen. Although we have not been able to go to the mosques, praying in congregation because they are all closed as a precautionary measure, I cannot help but remember this beautiful Ayah in Surah Al-Baqarah where Allah says, “Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship.” (2:185)

Our Lord, Subhan'Allah, is so merciful. He never means for us to suffer, merely to be at rest. This is a reminder to not make things difficult for ourselves because the Deen is simple, beautiful, and flawless. If we are unable to pray in Mosques, we can certainly pray in our houses. If you haven't prayed as a family in a while, now might be the greatest time to get back into the habit. You can still wake up for Tahajjud, spend time with the Quran, and learn about the Deen online if you no longer have access to the Mosque.

There is a plethora of ways to Him. Don't set any boundaries in our pursuit of His boundless Generosity, Mercy, and Love.

I am also grateful that I am home, with my family, really, I am. I have been living by myself because of university and it had been pretty lonely since I don’t necessarily socialize with a lot of people, and I am truly grateful that God had allowed me to be back home during this period.

Please hold your loved ones a little tighter today if you are at home with them. Perhaps this is also one of Allah SWT's reminders to us – to utilize all of the time given for quality time with the people you care about a priority whenever feasible, because our time together in this world is only a gift.

We are fortunate to have dedicated healthcare professionals. They say that not all heroes wear capes, and our healthcare staff are our unsung heroes, working around the clock to help the community at this trying time. Actually, I am grateful not just medical professionals who have risked everything and are working relentlessly to help everyone, but also our civil workers; cleaners, teachers, journalists, researchers, lab workers, ministers, leaders, bus + taxi drivers; anyone and everyone who have been tirelessly serving and reassuring the community without expecting anything in return. May Allah reward every single one of you in abundance. 

But ultimately, I am honestly grateful for the ability to be grateful during this time since it's the only thing that's given me hope throughout this period of uncertainty. I pray that we all stick to "Syukur" and moisten our lips with "Alhamdulillah" (and sincerely mean it), because it can help us change our despairing thoughts into hopeful ones.

Hope that Allah is guiding and helping us every step of the way.

Hope that we will do the right thing, fight through this pandemic together.

Hope that one day, everything will go back to normal and that we will all be more than OK.  

I began this blog fearful, apprehensive, and unsure of how I should feel. But as soon as I gave my heart a chance to breathe and relax, it immediately returned to the safe comforts of appreciation. It is true what they say about gratitude being the best cure to all anxiety, just like how the remembrance of Allah is the cure to tired hearts.

At ILQ, we are grateful that we have the opportunity to provide education and an enriching environment to our students, especially amidst a pandemic. We are grateful to have a sense of security that enables us to project our message of hope and love to all. It is our mission to uphold our education even now during some of the hardest times for all of us to provide our students with the proper tools for finding hope and light amidst a challenging era whilst ensuring it is an enjoyable and loving experience

I pray that you find it in you to try give yourself a chance to find peace through the means of gratitude, if you are ever feeling overwhelmed and slightly unsettled.



No comments:

Post a Comment